Črnomelj is the largest city in Bela krajina. The old town centre is situated on a promontory on a narrow bend of the Lahinja and Dobličica Rivers. The first settlement already existed here during the Bronze Age, and since then this little bend of the river has been continuously inhabited. Written sources already began mentioning Črnomelj in 1228 under the name Schirnomel. In 1407, it received city rights and quickly began to develop in terms of trade and commerce. Its economy was given a new stimulus in 1914 when the first train arrived to the city. During the National Liberation War, the first meeting of the Slovenian National Liberation Committee was held here. Today, the city has a population of 6,000.
Črnomlj Old Town Centre - On a narrow bend of the Lahinja and Dobličica Rivers lies the central market of Črnomlj, which encompasses the medieval castle, the Commendam of the Knights Templar and the former savings and loans building. Next to the main street stands the Church of St. Peter and, not far from there, the Pastoral Centre with its archaeological exhibition and the gothic Church of the Holy Spirit. Many houses are decorated with commemorative panels that testify to the importance of Črnomlj and all of Bela krajina during World War II. For visitors, the Primožič House (house of Bela krajina artisans) and Črnomlj cellar (Bela krajina Wine-Information Centre, where it is possible to taste local wines) are of particular interest. Source: www.visitdolenjska.eu